Start roleplay threads here. Be sure to include NSFW in the title if it applies.

New Reply

Chapter Two: Dropping Hint(s)

Avid Sketch
Avid_Sketch

Pony

Lives in: Ca

A royal guard took away from her conversation with her younger teammates and waved. Returning shortly to continue the morning.

Avid planted herself by the entry way, staring off to the busy room in front of her. ". . . I wonder what Drama's doing." 

She could look over the guards and see her old buds conversing over new training techniques, Dazzler and the Ruler of Generosity talking about the other countries.

". . . Probably not worrying about me."

She looked to Sekr, seeing as the King was occupied.

Maybe there was something she could do? She stayed in place, nervous to stray from the public eye as one certain pony trotted up to her. The same golden mare that disturbed her. Oh sweet Luna, if it wasn't for the different mane styles she'd think it was May.

"Heyo!" Moral Support, the mare in question trotted to Avid. Trying her best to look friendly despite Avid's slight side steps to ignore the bright guard's approach.

Last updated: Thu, Apr 20, 2017 04:31 pm

Avid Sketch
Avid_Sketch

Pony

She seemed fine as of now, sitting on her hind as making small talk with Moral Support and her herd of young trainees. 

But it seemed she was also.. knitting?
Yes, apparently Avid was staring at little scarf, twiddling gray yarn with ease.

"So I'm thinking that the team could maybe learn a tad bit form you? If that doesn't invade your time with the King I add." Moral Support held up the ball of yarn, her herd standing or sitting about watching the smaller mare knit away.

"It'll be fine, I don't mind a bit helping out with training." She finished a row and inspected it, the others catching onto Avid's crooked stare as she leaned to the row and tugged some loose row with her teeth before checking again. "I-if the King will allow it. I don't know what he has in store for me." That's it Avid, keep your focus on the project and you won't stutter or look stupid or do anything to regret ever living.

"That's great! And uh, Avid?"

"Yes?"

"Why are you knitting?"

The question drew Avid Sketch away from her distraction. Blushing a bit before clearing her throat. "It's so I don't go off and mess up while I talk. I can't keep everything clean and simple when I talk, and working on things during conversations help me calm down and speak clearly."

"You remind me of my grandma." a stallion in the herd gleamed. "She'd sew all day in the living room and seemed to know what always happened. One time she called me out of the kitchen to help her fold blankets, I swore she knew I was raiding the desert my mama made that morning." 

The group laughed and one gave the stallion a light slug on his orange glaze armor. Avid sighed, catching the last glance from Sekr and giving him a wave before returning to the scarf.

"It's a bit better here... warm, but better." she mused over the yarn, picking up her free needle before continuing.

The group continued on other things. The gift, the stupid brooch of rejected gems Avid admitted hating to her newfound colleagues, so she was trying to improve the gift.

"So you're making the King a scarf?" Another guard leaned over Avid's shoulder. Impressed on the work so far, watching every loop from tightening to crossing. 

"Well- I'm thinking this and then the brooch can act as a clasp!" she smiled, as another row was complete. "Jewels are overrated, but something comfy and practical as a scarf would be much better."

"So do you like him~?" she almost dropped the needles as the collected trainees giggled at her fast red tinting cheeks. 

"He's nice!" Avid blurted, ducking deep into Armorville. Ah yeah, metal Sweater Town. "I don't know if he's flirting or being plain nice but- LIKE come on, who doesn't get crushes?" she coughed and focused ultimately on her knitting while Moral shooed away the herd. 

The two sharing one last light goodbye as the Honesty Guild's rookies took off for their morning training.And she hid her yarn and needles under suit, moseying up to the table of high officials. Of which she drew to a crawl because-

Holy shit she's about to sit at a table she'd never be allowed to look at.

Last updated: Fri, Apr 21, 2017 04:56 am

Avid Sketch
Avid_Sketch

Pony

Avid had claimed her spot among the certainly more important ponies. 

And it was too obvious how nervous she became, shaking like a leaf while getting a nice look over the officials at the table. She didn't spare a glance to Frith and Sekr when her ears laid firm against her head in a whipped dog sort of manner. Oh gosh she is not used to this. Oh dear Luna her little body didn't have the energy (or strength) for an important meeting like this.

Avid Sketch
Avid_Sketch

Pony

" Yes." she gave the elder a polite smile, small and brief before returning to her odd silence.

She looked to the table, studying the stallions that had dominated the place. Oh boy was this fun, considering the 3 to 1 gender ratio of Equestria's. But hey, much better than most political parties she's seen.

Not one pony in the Generous Court was a stallion.

"..So... What are you guy's profession?" Stupid stupid- her smile drew into a thin line. Why did she have to say something that stupid?

Corgibutts
Corgibutts

Stallion

Lives in: Sherman, Tx

Moments earlier.

Mays kept behind Avid as Avid stood, uncertain and fragile, in the doorway. The confrontation left Mays exasperated and shakey--and then, her company was gone. Mays didn't pursue, taking the notion to 'dine with [them]' as a formality rather than a sincere invitation. She was sure that her issue wasn't worth alerting everyone and souring their morning; and that her first impression was dreadful. Worse, what if rumors spread? Honesty deteriorates among crowds.

She instinctively stepped out of the doorway so as not to be a melodramatic roadblock, but she otherwise stood still and, with effort, slowed her breath as the flow of ponies and noise gently increased. Alone in the herd, Mays wondered if her outburst was for nothing--if she had been ephemeral and ineffectual as a crashing wave. The sea erodes shorelines, she assured herself, but she knew she didn't want to wait that long. For now, though, her stomach felt emptier. She found her seat among the artisans of New Appleloosa--more accurately, the craftsponies and agriculturists.

New Appleloosa doesn't have artisans, observed Mays into her mug of water. What use have we for shoddy gems? she interrogated of the corn 'n peas porridge. There is a quarry within a day's travel of here, and it's ours, she silently informed nopony in particular across the table. A gesture like this is wasteful and theatric, she lamented to the chandelier above. Why don't you see that? she wanted to ask Avid. Or the king himself?
"Mays?" A stallion's voice cleared the haze.

"What--What?" mumbled Mays through a mouth of food.

"I said the corn. Is. Delicious!" he emphasized. This was Spring Sprout: connoisseur and hydroponics apprentice. He was trying to get her attention from around the shoulders of an older pony, one much less enchanted with food. Mays peeked over and looked at his plate and saw a bowl. "You only have porridge", she indicated, but Sprout held his hooves high enough to show the half-eaten cob.

"Oh." Mays bashfully shrugged. At least my 'talent' isn't entirely a curse. I could live on the taste of corn for the rest of my life.

Spring Sprout looked determinedly at the cob, turning it slightly as if to glean some hidden secret. "You have magic hooves, you know. I wish I could make it look easy like you earthies. Some ponies think to be envious of us and unicorns... But you could make fruit grow out of a crack in a boulder. Who wouldn't be jealous of that?" Mays was sure he hearkened back to Appleloosian origin, where ponies simply moved in and set up tree-camp.
Mays looked at her 'magic' hooves. She wouldn't care that they were magic if ponies stopped being Honest. Seeing no viable resolve through further engagement, she decided to reserve this conundrum for the Temple. Seeing the Father would cool her blood.

From behind her toes she spotted Avid calmly toiling on her gift. Knitting? Is that one of the jewels? Maybe they won't be such a waste, she thought to herself with the relief that maybe she didn't need to feel so indignant. (Alas: as with the recession of the waves, so too do these glimmers fade.) Mays wet her throat with the last of her water, watching Avid be corralled to her place next to... the king...

Now what is going on here? They weren't just walking together in the hallways, and his invite to dine with "us" was... quite literal and immediate. There is some favoring going on for this mare. Not only that, but if nopony else noticed Avid's emotional turbulence, Mays did absolutely. She searched the eyes of the ponies around Avid, reading for a clue, but there was no clear antagonist. However, she thought, if there were a relationship between them...

An idea sprang--one token of peace that she thought was sure to get her on Avid's side. Swiping a quill from a neighboring author (despite his stammered protest) Mays wrote a message on her cloth napkin ("Those may stain, you know!" he blurted).

"Sprout!"

"Mm'yees?" dipped his voice as he slid into view from behind the pony.

Mays bit the napkin and nodded upward at him. "Gish diss to duh Generoshity h'ony."

Sprout diligently perked up toward the herd of guests. "The Generrr...?"

Mays struck the air with her nose in the direction of Avid. "Duh h'ink one."

"Ohhh!" He exclaimed in a not-inside-voice. "The curly pink one!" Thankfully his wings minded their manners as he stepped off his stool and circled around to Avid with an eagerness that suggested... infatuation? Mays perished the thought. Meanwhile, the quillpony stared at her until his belonging was returned.

The message read "If you want to impress him, beat him in chess" and was signed with a crude symbol of... corn.

Last updated: Mon, May 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Avid Sketch
Avid_Sketch

Pony

Avid viewed the note, smiling now that her stress had reduced. The corny pony liked her a little. A Little.

"No sire, I don't have much other questions." Avid replied, ignoring the slight growl of her stomach.

Today will be okay.

CHAPTER END