Strike up general conversation or introductions at the Cafe.

New Reply

Your 2016 In Review

Key
keystroke

Administrator

Mare

Lives in: Seattle

2016 In Review: Coding, Parenthood, and Self-Discovery

Well, overall, 2016 taught me a lot about my web development, parenthood, and about people. 

I've come a long way over the past few years. I was so different then. I was naive and undisciplined. While I was eager to learn more in PHP, I simply had a long way to go in that too. I still do. :) But through all the confusion the past few years, and 206 especially, I came out remarkably okay. I can build modern web applications now. I built PonyCrush from nothing and expanded it a lot this year. I feel some real accomplishment. I'm finally ready to finish another large project too - one which had become stuck, held back by my limitations.

But it's not all code. I've grown in a lot of other ways. 

I came a long way as a parent for my brother. Taking care of a teenager in your 20s is very strange. You can't just assert yourself, be a dad. You don't even want to. Learning how to constructively guide a brother in high school through his problems was quite a challenge. It put me through a lot of confusing mindsets. I was unsure . Can I forgive my family? Will I keep in contact? Will I protect him from them or let him make the decision? It was tough, but now my brother's not only taller than me. He's almost an adult - a senior in high school. The road I took here was rugged. It's clear his journey, though not perfect, will have a shortcut around some of the snags I faced. With him now showing interests of his own, expressing himself, even arguing his point of view, I'm relieved. He'll be successful in life. 

I put a lot of faith in people, gave them the benefit of the doubt. I learned the worst about people. I almost wanted to hate people, but I'm just not capable. I found myself searching this year - for redeeming qualities in humanity. What makes people happy? successful? Why do they believe and act as they do? I think I finally found some peace of mind in the world. I tested my values and my beliefs, and came out unscathed and unjaded. 

On the flipside, I learned about friendship and integrity. Some of those lessons have hurt the most. I began realizing I had it wrong. I was too naive. I left myself too vulnerable to those I considered friends. And? I considered nearly everyone a friend. In difficult times, I counted on others for guidance. After PonyCrush was launched, I counted on others for support, mutual support at that. I was crushed many times the past year. I had learned so much and grown alongside other people. I wanted to return the favor. I was willing to give everyone to whom I owed gratitude a part of my dream. Part of my success. Everytime I learned something new or moved up in the world, I had a thank you list in the back of my head. One after another, many fell short of how I had painted them. The shock gave me more to reflect on and grow though. I faced my angels and my demons. I faced my ego or lack thereof. 

This year, I challenged my self-doubt. I learned to give myself a pat on the back - not just a thank you list. It's not cool to be egocentric or selfish, but I learned what it means to be the total opposite. I learned I should take responsibility for my faults AND my accomplishments. 

2016 has been a weird one for us all, but I believe it's made me a stronger me. 

I'm Key. Sometimes, I can be a bit analytical. I love technology, languages, politics, and the arts. I can come off as a jerk sometimes.. sometimes, a pushover. I'm a brony, a web developer, an entrepreneur, a progressive. I like fiery women and fiery debate. Someday, I hope I can help make the world a better place, more connected, understanding, and compassionate.

What has this crazy year taught you? Reply with your story.. let's make this a thing! :D

(I know it's only September, but this tense year seems to have made for quite the story already for many people)

Last updated: Fri, Sep 02, 2016 08:26 am

Slipstream
The_Common_Guardian

Stallion

Lives in: Dover, Delaware

2016 has been...a bit different for me, but with my career field (Its a secret :P) every year since 2013 has been different. I was new at my new position but now I feel like I know it like the back of my hand, so that's cool.
I turned 21 and can now drink, only to find beer taste disgusting.
My girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me (but honestly when I look back she was more of a pain in my ass then anything).

I've started taking more classes to get my associates degree and I feel like I actually have a plan for my future (I already did but now more so).

I started going to brony conventions so I went to Bronycon this year and I went to Fillycon a week ago and those were fun, got lots of pictures. Going to Ponycon in January and thinking about going to Derpycon in Nov, maybe not, mostly because its not a MLP convention (yet with a name like Derpycon, you'd think it was).

Alright, what else...well, I don't feel anymore adult, I don't know if that's good or bad...I haven't had any epiphanies or had any self discoveries...so yeah.

I don't really have anything else to say but if you have questions you can messege me. Hope the rest of the year goes great.

MoBi
MoBisley

Stallion

Lives in: Ponyville, Equestria

2016 has been an interesting year for sure. A good portion of it was spent moping around, dealing with depression that stems from stress and anxiety. My living situation has been in a kind of Limbo. I was supposed to move to Tacoma, WA in the summer but It's been postponed and postponed all the way to October now. Things are starting to look up, however. With a confirmed date for my move, I can finally start focusing on the important stuff. Every day here is just a depressing reminder that I'll go nowhere in life, and it's something I can't live with any more.

I haven't really worked on my music too much, as I've been having to use TV trays as a desk for my keyboard and mouse. It's pretty uncomfortable. Originally I had an album planned out but I haven't really made enough progress on the songs to release it anytime soon, so I'm settling for releasing some of them as singles.

I am no longer a brony. I still sometimes go to conventions because I have lots of friends that still go, but I haven't watched an episode since the 100th ep. I just lost interest. That, and a lot of the fandom got pretty cringy in my opinion, so I just went ahead and left.